Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Signs, Signs, Everywhere Are Signs... except here.

This week, let’s roll back the clock to an earlier form of technology. Let’s go way, way back. Because it seems to me that by and large, libraries missed the boat on one of our oldest pieces of tech: signs.

When I walk into my local public library, there’s a noticeable lack of direction given to me. There’s a sign pointing out the circulation desk, another for the reference desk, and well… that’s about it. If I want to just browse the shelves, I better know my Dewey system. And honestly, how many of us library students even know Dewey? I have a fair grasp on the major numbers, the hundreds… maybe. No doubt when I start working in a library that knowledge will be fleshed out more. But how many patrons can we expect to know Dewey? No where near the majority. And yet I glance around my library shelves and see nothing but small plagues with numbers on the ends. Is there a reason there are no signs with subjects spelled out in plain English? Why not advertise our books? Place a nice big sign over the mystery novels. Point out the medical information books. Looking for history books? Follow the big arrow over here.

I know I’m not the first to say this, but it seems like there’s a lot we could learn from our biggest competitors: the bookstores. If I walk into Barnes & Noble, I can find the types of books I’m looking for with a quick glance around the store. In a typical library, I have to wander among the shelves to even find a sign for a Dewey range most people don’t even know. It’s no wonder my friends would rather kill time browsing in a bookstore than the local library.

And I’m sure the coffee and muffins don’t hurt either.

3 comments:

Ellen said...

I can totally relate! I was in my local public library a couple weeks ago and had trouble finding the reference section!

Bonnie said...

What is even better is when the signs are not right. In the past 18 months we "reorganized" our General Collections. This is like when they remodel your favorite grocery store. So many patrons came up to the Reference Desk saying "It used to be ..... but now I can not find it." It was good for business but aggravating for the public. It took a while for the signs to actually match what was on the shelf.

Mary Alice Ball said...

I have worked in libraries that were great with signage and others that weren't. We really can learn something by looking at stores and how they sell their products.